Portuguese Tarts Recipe
How to make Portuguese Tarts at Home and Stay Safe
- 1 whole egg (large)
- 2 egg yolks (large)
- 115g golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 400ml full fat (creamy) milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- Grease/butter a 12 muffin tin and pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6
- Put egg, yolks, sugar & cornflour in a bowl and mix well together then gradually add the milk until mixture is well mixed and smooth.
- Place into a pan on medium heat and stir constantly until mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Put custard in a glass bowl to cool and cover with cling film. This is important to stop a skin from forming on the top.
- Cust pastry sheet into two pieces and place them on top of each other. Roll the pastry firmly, from the short edge, into a thick sausage shape and cut into 12 even sized rounds.
- On a lightly floured board, roll each round into a disc (approx. 10cm) and press the pastry into the muffin tin.
- Spoon in the cooled custard and bake for 20-25mins until golden and delicious looking on top.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling. However we recommend eating slightly warm.